Located within walking distance (300 meters) from the Interislander and Blue Bridge ferry terminal you will find this quaint backpackers lodge. After the 3 hour ferry crossing it is a nice place to call home for a couple of days before taking on the rest of the South Island of New Zealand.
The Villa has a nice range of accommodations from dorm rooms to private double bed ensuite rooms, which are comfortable and warm. Each room has a heater fan just to be sure! Linens are provided which is not always the case in New Zealand. Many places offer linen hire where you pay extra for linen and towels for your stay.
When you first approach the Villa you got the feeling of a nice B&B with the wraparound porch and the gardens carefully manicured. Stepping inside to the old hard wood floors that creaked slightly when you walked upon them, that feeling remained.
- Kitchen stocked with more than adequate supplies for multiple meals being cooked at the same time. There are 4 burner stove tops, an oven, microwave, toaster, and a large fridge for storing your groceries.
- Attached to the kitchen is a nice dining area with one large table that accommodates 12-14 diners at a time. During the 8pm free crumble offering, the table fills with guests enjoying the warm treat. It was a great time to talk to others about their day and what activities not to miss.
- Laundry facilities included a coin-operated washer and dryer with an iron and ironing board available as well.
- For non-ensuite rooms, the shared bathrooms and showers were very clean and there were enough to accommodate everyone.
- Inside lounge area with games and books available to use.
- Beautiful outside area including lounge chairs, picnic tables, and a hot tub!
- A large selection of bikes to use, free of charge
- The reception area offers assistance in booking any tours and great suggestions for things to do in the area.
Our room was a twin share ensuite – two twin beds with an in room bathroom including shower. The cost per night was $70 and this included a free continental breakfast, with toast and a wide variety spreads (available in the winter only). Also included was a nightly warmed fruit crumble with ice cream, which was sure to bring out all the travels to the kitchen for the delightful treat!
For more information and details check out HostelWorld.
Some of the above tips include actual services we used and that we have developed affiliate relationships with. We had great experiences, or we would not promote them. Safe Travels!